TD Bank Financial Group Grant for Health Sciences Interdisciplinary Research Studentships
The TD Bank Financial Group in agreement with the University of Alberta has established an endowment fund to be administered by the Health Sciences Council, University of Alberta. The fund will provide three (3) $10,000 studentships for 2016-17 to support students or trainees at the masters, doctoral or fellowship level. The studentships will be awarded to students in the health sciences faculties who have active roles with an interdisciplinary (cross-faculty or multiple health/allied health disciplines) health research team, who will be taking part in a health research project and who describe or demonstrate interest and potential to excel in interdisciplinary health research.
These awards will be administered through the Health Sciences Council (HSC), according to University of Alberta policies on student awards. The recipients will be chosen based on the recommendation of a review/selection committee appointed by the Executive Director of the Health Sciences Council.
Application closed for 2016.
Eligibility of Candidates
Those candidates who meet the following criteria are eligible to apply:
- Registered full-time in a graduate or fellowship program for the duration of the award in one of the following Faculties/Schools Programs at the University of Alberta that offer health sciences programs (Medicine and Dentistry; Nursing; Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences; Rehabilitation Medicine; Physical Education and Recreation;Agricultural, Life and Environmental Sciences; and the School of Public Health)
- A strong academic record
- Interest in exploring opportunities to increase interdisciplinary or team-based scholarship in health research and/or collaborative practice in the health care system
- Has a Supervisor who holds an academic appointment from one of the Faculties/Schools noted above at the University of Alberta and possesses a record of productive health-oriented research including peer reviewed grants, publications and conference presentations/abstracts
- Involvement in a health research project with an interdisciplinary focus and interdisciplinary team (i.e. cross-faculty or two or more health disciplines)
Applications must be submitted on the attached Studentship application (fill-in) form using the font as set in the form, and must be signed and dated appropriately by required signees. RSO signatures are not required for this studentship.
Applications are to be submitted (hard copy) no later than 4:00 pm on December 22, 2016 to the applicant’s home faculty. Please deliver or forward applications to:
|For applicants from the:
| Submit applications to:
|Faculty of Agricultural, Life and Environmental Sciences
||2-10 Agricultural / Forestry Centre
Attn: Dr. M. Anne Naeth, Associate Dean Research and Graduate Studies
|Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry
||Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry Office of Research
2-13 Heritage Medical Research Centre
Attn: Dr. Hanne Ostergaard, Associate Dean Research, Graduate Programs
|Faculty of Nursing
||Faculty of Nursing Graduate Programs Office
4-171 Edmonton Clinic Health Academy
Attn: Dr. Pauline Paul, Associate Dean of Graduate Studies
|Faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences
|Graduate Studies Office
2-35 Medical Sciences Building
Attn: Ms. Joyce Johnson, Graduate Studies Administrator
|Faculty of Physical Education and Recreation
|3-134 Van Vliet Complex
Attn: Dr. Normand Boule, Associate Dean, Graduate Studies
|Faculty of Rehabilitation Medicine
|3-48R Corbett Hall
Attn: Dr. Tammy Hopper, Vice-Dean, Graduate Studies and Research
|School of Public Health
|4-077C Edmonton Clinic Health Academy
Attn: Dr. Kim Raine, Associate Dean Research
Appendix 1 on the application form outlines the criteria that the TD Studentship Review Committee will use to evaluate applications.
- October 21, 2016 – Request for proposals sent out by each Health Sciences Faculty totheir students
- December 22, 2016 – Submission deadline. Applicants should submit hard copies ofcomplete application package to their home faculty as indicated in the table above
- January 2017 – Each faculty internally reviews and recommends the top two (2)applications for submission to HSC
- February 2017 – A HSC review committee consisting of representatives from eachhealth sciences faculty reviews top submissions. Each of the top three (3) applicantswill receive the studentship.
- March 2017 award commences.
Term of Grant
The grant is for a maximum period of one year from the date of allocation, March 1, 2017 to February 28, 2018.
Deliverables at end of studentship
Successful candidates will submit a final report to the Health Sciences Council by March 31, 2018. The report must acknowledge support from the TD Fund. The successful candidate may also be required to present their final report at an HSC meeting and/or conference (suitable meeting and date to be determined).
CONTACT FOR QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS:
Questions regarding the application or process can be addressed to the Health Sciences Council: email@example.com